Occasional blogging, mostly of the long-form variety.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Blogiversary III: The Sequel


("I question your choice of metaphor here.")


So, uh, happy blogiversary to me – out of the terrible twos and into the tremulous threes! My blogiversary post last year provided a mini-roundup and the thin blog history. (I also seem to keep linking two posts from that year, since "The Bullshit Matrix" and "False Equivalencies" seem to apply to just about all political coverage.)

Anyway, many thanks to those readers who've stopped by, and to all those bloggers who observe the spirit of Blogroll Amnesty Day. It's been nice, especially as I'm a part-time blogger. It's also been fun to get to know more blogger-type people online and meet some in real life.

For this year's mini-roundup, let me see. I still need to finish up the War Series, but "Day of Shame" and "The Poetry of War" are the most substantial new entries.

Of the many posts on Iraq, "John "100 Years" McCain" is probably the most significant (more on the neocons in "Iraq and Vietnam: Selling the Stab-in-the-Back Myth" and "Brave Cowboys of the Junior High Lunch Room," among others).

Of the many posts on torture (I know, another cheery subject), the most exhaustive is the "Torture Watch" roundup from February.

"A Recap of the Sliming of Graeme Frost" was a similar resource post. Yeah, it's hard to keep up with all the internet scrums.

If mini-manifestos are your thing, here are "Some Reasons I'm a Liberal."

"That Fragrant Horse Race Coverage," "That Damned Liberal Racism," "Richard Cohen and the Fabulous Hair" and "Skippy and the Mystery of the Mystery of the Missing Journalism" covered the silliness of our political coverage (among other posts).

Meanwhile, "A Pox on One of Your Houses," "Somehow, This Seemed Appropriate" and "Post Postmortem Post" chronicled the internecine warfare in the liberal blogosphere as the primary season entered the Thunder Dome stage.

In film, there's the 2007 Film Roundup and an appreciation for the great departed Ingmar Bergman. The poetry category still cries out for more entries.

The International Holocaust Day post this year dealt with Nazi propaganda films and the T4 program (although I wish I could have supplied more clips).

Oh, yeah, there's also a post over at the Campaign for America's Future, "Hogwash," and the Right-Wing Cartoon Watch series over at Blue Herald.

Still, I think I got the strongest reactions from a Valentine's Day rant and a post on creativity, which together sorta capture the silliness I prefer in real life and my philosophy of corrupting the youth of America though art, literature and all that cultural stuff.

And on that note, here's my poem pick for this year, for all fellow travelers:

#448


I died for Beauty - but was scarce
Adjusted in the Tomb
When One who died for Truth, was lain
In an adjoining Room

He questioned softly why I failed?
“For Beauty,” I replied -
“And I - for Truth—Themselves are One
We Brethren, are,” He said

And so, as Kinsmen met a Night,
We talked between the Rooms -
Until the Moss had reached our lips -
And covered up - Our names –

— Emily Dickinson, 1862



(On to next year!)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy day!

May you blog many more!

Comrade Kevin said...

Happy Anniversary!

My two year will be coming up in a couple of weeks.

Anonymous said...

You da man... YOU DA MAN!

Congrats, Bat!

Faded said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Jay Allbritton said...

Congrats, Bats. That's a long run. Hope you stick around for many more.

Suzi Riot said...

Congrats! A fine round-up indeed. Looking forward to more!

ThePoliticalCat said...

Happy Blogiversary! I've forgotten when mine is, but it sounds like I ought to celebrate. Hopefully it falls on January 20th, and hopefully, I will have excellent reason to celebrate.

Fran said...

Happy Day... one week late!

I am so sorry that we did not connect when I was in LA.

When we went to Universal on Monday I did shout out "Batocchio!!!" very loudly as we drove through the Cahuenga Pass.

Did you hear me? I was kinda thinking that the earthquake on Tuesday was your reply!

DU Webmistress said...

Nice poem choice.

Interesting blog, good job.

Please take a look at my poetry community if you get a chance, I think it may be of interest to you (and perhaps your blog visitors).