Occasional blogging, mostly of the long-form variety.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

More on Andy Olmsted

Two weeks ago I wrote a brief post on Major Andrew Olmsted, who was tragically killed while on active duty in Iraq on January 3rd. His last blog entry at Rocky Mountain News is here, and has become a condolence thread. Once again, the moving post he wrote to be posted in the event of his death is here at Obsidian Wings, where he blogged under the name G'Kar (he was a big fan of Babylon 5). I didn't know him personally, and I missed much of his earlier work. He didn't want his death to be used for any political purposes, but by all accounts, he was a thoughtful, generous guy with a good sense of humor, and it's a tragic loss. Many commentators wondered if there was anything that could be done for his family.

There were so many comments to the original post that Hilzoy opened a new one, "Remembering Andy Olmsted," with more information and some personal anecdotes. She also posted "How to Help," which links the many posts about Andy, but also relays:

A member of Andy Olmsted's family has just written me to say that if people want to do something in honor of him, they can send donations to a fund that has been set up for the four children of CPT Thomas Casey, who served under Andy and was killed while trying to help him. The address is here:

Capt. Thomas Casey Children's Fund
P.O. Box 1306
Chester, CA 96020

Thanks so much.

The comment thread for the "How to Help" post features still more links to pieces about Andy. Last Thursday, I happened to see his photo on the periodic honor roll of American dead on PBS' NewsHour, always affecting. Last Friday, I heard NPR's story on Andy while I was driving home. It's a good piece, if you want to take a listen. Thanks.

(Cross-posted at The Blue Herald)

2 comments:

Faded said...

Thank you for this. I gave a going away dinner for a good friend leaving for boot camp yesterday, and I cant help but be plagued by bleak thoughts...god, i wish every soldier was out of Iraq.

Batocchio said...

I hear ya, Fade, and very nice of you to throw the dinner. I'm sure it was appreciated. You're reminding me I need to write a couple guys I know in the service.