Occasional blogging, mostly of the long-form variety.

Monday, July 30, 2012

Blogiversary VII: Seven Posts in May


Blogging is not writing. It's just graffiti with punctuation.
Contagion


A few days ago, this blog turned seven. It's been another year with little time to write and plenty of backlogged major-posts-in-the-works that would, uh, knock your socks off if you were only the type to wear socks, you hippie. Still, thanks to everyone who's stopped by for my occasional (mostly long-form) blogging. (At least I got in three film references above!)

As usual, I'll give a retrospective. Guilt has its uses, such as prodding me to finish "The Four Types of Conservatives" (another entry to the Chart Project). "Extremism in Defense of Nihilism Is a Vice" dissected the conservative extremism and bad faith driving last year's debt ceiling hostage situation.

"They Could Not Look Me in the Eye Again" looked at issues of dehumanization to commemorate Armistice Day 11/11/11.

"Surely the Constitution Must Match My Theocratic Beliefs" examined the ignorance and religious narcissism of Rick Santorum, while "My God Can Beat Up Your God (Defining "Tolerance")" dissected the whole "You're intolerant of my intolerance" shtick. (Both posts were for the annual Blog Against Theocracy.)

My annual post-Oscar film roundup is in four posts as usual, starting here (scroll through "older posts" at the bottom to read the rest).

For Banned Books Week, we looked at efforts to restrict Brave New World and Sherman Alexie. For National Poetry Month, we featured pieces by the recently deceased Adrienne Rich. For International Holocaust Remembrance Day, we looked at a Nazi board game.

Finally, in addition to spreading the luv during a few stints at Mike's Blog Roundup over at Crooks and Liars, there was the Jon Swift Memorial Roundup 2011.

I also spent a fair amount of time redesigning the blog. If you're a regular reader and have VS on your blogroll, and I haven't reciprocated, feel free to write me or leave a comment. Cheers, and happy blogging!

4 comments:

LongRider said...

I enjoy reading your blog, am a fan of Charlie Chaplin and loved the film "Children of Men." Keep blogging and I'll keep reading.

:)

Marc McDonald said...

Congrats! Here's to another seven years. I've long enjoyed your work.

Retired Patriot said...

Keep up the great work Bottachio!

RP

zencomix said...

Congrats! I like the videos as well as the writing. Sometimes I get introduced to music I've never heard.